The Sittanavasal village is about 20 kilometres (12 mi) to the north of Pudukottai, just before Annavasal village and about 58 kilometres (36 mi) from Trichy. The entrance to the village has a welcome arch. Within its geographical setting there is a prominent hill of 70 metres (230 ft) height, which runs in the north-south direction, where many Jaina cave monuments are located. Megalithic sites of the 1st century BC have also been excavated near the village, on the road to the monuments. It was a flourishing village during the Jaina period from the 7th to 9th century AD. Before entering the Sittanavasal and on the road to the monuments, remains of prehistoric burial sites are seen. The Jain natural caverns, called Ezhadippattam are approached from the foothills. On the western slope of the central part of the hill is the cave temple which is approached by climbing a few 100 steps
Madurai Meenakshi Temple - 90 kms from Chettinaadu Madurai's cultural heritage goes back 2,500 years and the city was an important commercial hub and has conducted trade as far as Rome and Greece since 550 B.C. The city of Madurai was supposedly constructed like a lotus, with the temple at the center and the streets and main thoroughfares layered one after the other concentrically, outward from the center. Madurai's Meenakshi-Sundareswarar temple, a contestant for one of the new seven wonders of the world is one of the India's greatest cultural and architectural landmarks.
Rameshwaram, an important pilgrimage centre in India is situated in the Gulf of Mannar at the very tip of the Indian peninsula. According to legend, this is the place from where Lord Rama built a bridge Ram Setu (also known as Adam's Bridge) across the sea to Lanka to rescue his wife Sita from Ravana It is located about 140 kms from Kanadukathan.
One hundred and ten years old Raja palace located in the heart of Kanadukathan is built on the Chettinad tradition in 1912. Popularly known as the Chettinaadu Palace, was designed and constructed by Dr.Annamalai Chettiyar, founder of the Indian Bank and the Annamalai University in Chidambaram. The palace has lovely teak, marble and granite pillars supporting a spacious verandah. Ganesh temple is facing the Raja's palace, adjoining a pond, known as oorani.
Thirumayam is a place of historical importance located about 12 kms north of Kanadukathan. It was built by Sethupathi Vijaya Ragunatha Thevar, ruler of Ramanathapuram in AD 1687. Sethupathi is the name of the ruling dynasty of Ramanathapuram (Ramnad). There are two famous rock-cut shrines, one of Siva and the other of Vishnu, adjacent to each other.
This palace was built in the Indo-Saracen style by Thirumalai Nayakar in 1636. The gigantic 248 pillars, each 58 feet tall and 5 feet in diameter and structures represent architectural mastery. The courtyard and the dancing hall are central attractions for visitors.
Pillaiyar patti Pillaiyar temple, an ancient rock-cut cave shrine dedicated to Lord Ganesha is situated 20 kms away from Kanadukathan. The cave temple comprises rock cut images of Siva and other gods as well as several shrines. The Agama texts found on stones in the temple date back to the years between 1091 and 1238.